March 25, 2015

Book Review: Confess by Colleen Hoover

Confess
My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Get a copy here!
AMAZON | BOOK DEPOSITORY

I confess,
‘I buried my face on both of my hands and cried for good ten minutes during last chapter of Confess before continued reading’


OMG, thank you Colleen for introducing me with this boy OMG.
Everybody, meet my newest bookboyfriend, OMG.
OMG, you’re confused right?
Let me tell you in a bit, OMG…

OMG… lol I cracked too much when reaching the scene where the OMG mystery was revealed. So, OMG is actually the initial of the hero’s name: Owen Mason Gentry. And yes, as usual Colleen had created a very lovely good guy in her book. Just like with Will Cooper or Ridge Lawson or Dean Holder, I fell in love instantly with Owen. But Owen has just become my most favorite now because of he’s too freaking good to be true. OMG, you should see the sacrifices he’d done for his beloved ones…
“I don’t feel lost in him at all, because it’s the first time I’ve ever felt like someone truly found me.”
(Auburn Reed; Chapter XXI, Confess)
Auburn Reed was twenty-one years old when her life was already hanging by the thread in the edge of a cliff. One mistake would cause everything she had to lose in a blink of an eye. Thus, she could not afford risk of making one. But then came Owen. Good guy, amazing artist, sweet, handsome Owen Gentry. Both Auburn and Owen couldn’t deny the attraction pulling each other’s poles. Auburn knew Owen would definitely be the ‘mistake’ in her struggling life but she debated herself that for once, she wanted to believe that Owen would not be a mistake. When they finally let themselves melting in each other’s arm, that’s when the big secrets standing between them unraveled. Owen was sure a mistake that caused her life firmly planted in the middle of a railway ready to be hit by a trainwreck. The only way to save it was by cutting the tie with Owen. Surely Auburn could do that, right? While her whole life was at a stake? But heart was one enigma in every one’s life. When cutting Owen should be the right thing to do, Auburn felt hollow everyday without his presence, leaving thousand questions flying in her messed-up mind. Was Owen really a mistake for her? Or maybe Owen was the savior in this knotty circumstance of hers? If only they knew the right thing to do… If only they were willing to confess their darkest secret for once…

Once again, Colleen combined story with another form of art. First, she used poetry on Slammed. Second, she used music on Maybe Someday. And now, she used painting on Confess. This is why Colleen is my favorite author. Her creativity is over the top. She was not just simply combine two forms of art together, she blend them in a very original way. The idea of using confessions as a bridge that connect the story with the painting amazed me big time. It was really genius and like nothing I’ve ever seen in any books.
The characters she created for Confess were all so realistic. Even though it was a bit difficult for me to connect with Auburn (maybe because of I have yet to be in her ‘circumstance’) but slowly I found her character awesome and her illogical act understandable. As for Owen, God, is that possible to find a man like him in real life? The sacrifice he’d done was so… I cried cried cried for everything he’d sacrificed for his beloved persons.
“I laugh, and the tenderness that enters his eyes at the sound of my laughter makes me realize that this is what I want. Selflessness. It should be the basis of every relationship. If a person truly cares about you, they’ll get more pleasure from the way they make you feel, rather than the way you make them feel.”
(Auburn Reed; Chapter XXI, Confess)
Oh, I just love what Owen said about people lying!
She stops reading the confession in her hands and her eyes meet mine. “You’re amazed that people can lie so well?”
I shake my head. “No. Just relieved to know that everyone does it. Makes me feel like maybe my life isn’t as fcked up as I thought it was.”

(Chapter IV, Confess)
And this… don’t you want to agree with his saying below so much? Because I do. So much.
“In order to be embarrassed, a person has to care about the opinions of others first.”
(Owen Gentry; Chapter II, Confess)
Colleen must be so blessed in her life because whenever I was about to declare one of her books as my most favorite, she went out releasing another one and completely ruined it. She did it (again) this time with Confess. Now I’m afraid to read her next book because I don’t want my feeling for Owen to fade away so soon. Owen is and should be on the top list of my favorite hero forever or I’ll just spend my entire 2015 reading Confess over and over again. Or I might just do it anyway…


Love, read, and review,
Cynthia D.

0 comments:

Post a Comment