February 16, 2015

Book Review: Maybe Someday (Maybe, #1) by Colleen Hoover

Maybe Someday (Maybe, #1)
My rating: 3.6 of 5 stars


Get a copy here!

So as I planned before, I’d filled up my February reading list with ALL of Colleen’s books and this week I successfully finished them all in less than 2 weeks. I fell in love with Slammed series, and then fell in love with Hopeless series ―thanks to Losing Hope. I expected myself to fall in love with Maybe Someday too. I’ve been eyeing this book for weeks. I was hooked by the cover and the title. I also contemplated to skip Slammed and Hopeless in order to read Maybe Someday first as the opening read but ended up sticking with the order (year of released it was). And when I finished reading three days ago, I was expecting I’d write a glowing five-stars review of this book but…
I seriously don’t know what to say about this book.

Okay, I’m not going to write a brief synopsis as usual ‘cause I would probably give too many spoilers. Let’s say Maybe Someday is a unique love story with undeniably attractive hearts-snatcher hero and majority plot is love triangle with a background of music. Really, the story is unique and original. I love the opening scene and the way our two main characters met for the first time. I also love every single song lyrics in this book. They’re all so beautiful and were different than those I’ve seen in other books. But Maybe Someday somehow made me realize that I’m really not a fan of any romance story which has love-triangle issues within. As much as it tries to appear ‘innocent’ in any book with good plot. I just… I don’t know, I just can’t believe that people could love two people at the same time even if in the end they admit they mistaken one of it as a love but still… they said those three words to two different people at the same time (not technically the ‘same’ time but… well, you know what I mean)!

I love the hero, Ridge so much. I do, really I do. It’s just unfortunate of him to be put on that situation. I love the way he played music. I love the way he loved music. I love what he chose to react to everything and everyone around him. I love his silly pranks. I love the way he wrote songs with Sydney. I love HIS SONGS. And I sure love his loyalty to his girlfriend, Maggie. But Colleen Hoover cruelly wrote his every moment with Sydney very very beautifully. GAH. Was it possible that I just fell in love with their moment together but not with them as a couple? Because it’s pretty much what I felt about them.

It’s ironic that I don’t like Sydney as much as I like Maggie. I understand that the power of attraction could be so strong and mercilessly made people weak in their right minds, but I also wished that Sydney would consider ‘talking’ with her mind first before letting her heart took a step forward. Also considering the situation she was in before meeting Ridge, it should be a good lesson to be a careful with love. No, I don’t hate Sydney. I just a bit annoyed with her never ending internal debate of should I/should I not be in love with Ridge. Just like with Ridge, I also felt sorry for her to be put in this situation.

And Maggie might be the only character that I like here. Well, maybe if Sydney and Ridge were put in a whole different circumstance, I am so sure that they’ll be my top favorite book couple… *sigh* well this is life, we cannot just always get what we want… *please ignore my drifting-mind*
Maybe Colleen tried to show us that after all we don’t choose who we fall in love with but I just am so DISPLEASED with this love-triangle plot.
BUT!!
… well, then again this is why Colleen is my favorite author.
As much as I disagreed with this book, Colleen managed to write a heart-wrenching ending scene which I loved so much. And that pretty much eased my disappointment toward the whole book. And it also reminded me again how much I loved Ridge and all heros whose ‘circumstances’ (not referred to the situation he was put in) are kind of similar as Ridge.
So, people, meet Ridge Lawson, my newest book-boyfriend (yeah boo me, everybody, just boo me all you want…).

Love, read, and review,
Cynthia D.

0 comments:

Post a Comment